In vitro fertilization (IVF) has come as a boon for those couples who wish to have a baby but fail to conceive naturally. This method is also known as assisted reproductive technology. IVF centres at different places all over India have made it possible to make this treatment easily accessible and affordable to all. If you are located in South India, you can probably choose to get treated at some of the best IVF centre in Kerala. Kerala has the best IVF centres, which offer maximum success rate and at an affordable cost.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) – It is a complex series of procedures which is used to help with fertility or to prevent genetic problems and assist with the conception of a child.
What is the process of IVF (in Vitro Fertilization)
During the process of IVF, the mature eggs are collected from the ovaries and it is fertilized with the sperm in a laboratory. Both eggs and the sperm can be from the donor or from the couples who are trying to conceive. After the eggs are fertilized then the egg (embryo) or eggs (embryos) are transferred to the uterus. On an average one complete cycle of IVF takes near about three weeks. In some cases, these mentioned steps are split into different parts and the process can take longer duration.
The chances of conceiving a healthy baby using IVF process depend on multiple factors, such as the cause of infertility and your age factor. The process of IVF can be time-consuming, invasive and expensive. IVF can result in a pregnancy with more than one foetus (multiple babies) if more than one embryo gets implanted to the uterus.
A doctor or healthcare person can guide you and make you understand how IVF works, he can update you about the potential risks involved in this process and whether this method of treating infertility is right for you or not.
Why is IVF procedure done?
IVF is done to resolve the problem of infertility or treat any genetic problems. In case if you wish to undergo IVF to rule the problem of infertility you must try some other methods like fertility drugs to increase the production of eggs and track the fertility window. You can also try the intrauterine insemination process where the sperms are directly placed in front of the mature eggs via a tool to increase chances of fertilization.
In some cases, IVF is suggested as a primary treatment for infertility in women who are over the age limit of 40. In vitro fertilization (IVF) can also be performed if you have certain health ailments and are unable to conceive naturally. Some of the factors are :
Fallopian tube damage: If the fallopian is damaged or obstructed , it makes it difficult for the sperms to travel to the egg or the fertilized egg to travel to the uterus.
- Disorder with ovulation: When ovulation is irregular or has stopped fewer eggs get matured
- Endometriosis: It occurs when a tissue grows outside of the uterus implants which is similar to the uterus lining. This tissue affects the functioning of ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes.
- Uterine fibroids: These are tumors which are benign in nature, they occur in women who are in 30w or in 40s, these fibroids hinder in the process of implantation.
- Unexplained fertility: When the real reason for fertility is not known in such a case the procedure of IVF is helpful.
- Genetic disorder: When the partners have a problem of passing genetic problems, in such a case the IVF facility helps in testing the genetic disorder in the embryos and thereby transferring it to the uterus.
What are the risks involved in IVF treatment?
- Risk of multiple births: As quite a good number of mature eggs are taken and implanted in the uterus to increase the success rate, it may result in multiple births which decreases the birth weight of each foetus
- Premature delivery: It is seen that premature delivery is quite normal in IVF resulting in low birth weight of the baby.
- Miscarriage: The rate of miscarriage is same in case of IVF to that of natural conception which is 10% -15%.
- Hyper stimulation of the ovaries: at times women may suffer from the problem of hyper stimulation or over swollen ovaries. Though it may vanish within a few weeks, if the woman gets pregnant it can last longer.
There are many renowned IVF Centres in Kerala but its recommended you choose the one near you. Because, you will have to visit the centre multiple times for scanning, procedures & doctor consultation during the treatment.
If you stay in Kochi or Ernakulam, this best IVF centre in Kerala should be your first choice. However, don’t go by our words. You can double check on the reviews and feedback on google and facebook to ensure. If you still have doubts, having an initial discussion with the IVF speciality through a video consultation may also help.